$Date: 2005-01-13 14:00:44 +0000 (Thu, 13 Jan 2005) $
Installing GRASS 5.7 on Win32 with Cygwin
Windows NT 4.0 (SP3 or higher), Windows 2000, XP, ...
(Windows 9x and Windows ME are unsupported)
Cygwin, latest release,
NTFS filesystem (FAT will not work!),
No white spaces in path(s). Even not in your home directory.
X Window Server and Client
libraries and additions see below.
Cygwin INSTALLATION step-by-step
Now, after installation of cygwin, we can go for GRASS 5.7 installation.
- Get the "setup.exe" from http://www.cygwin.com, run it.
- In "setup.exe", click 'Next', then "Install from Internet" (requires online connection)
- Select the directory where to install Cygwin ("root directory"). Keep default
text file type as "Unix". Then 'Next'.
- Select Local Package directory (we suggest to keep what's suggested). Then 'Next'.
- Select Your Internet Connection: either direct connection or specify proxy server. Then 'Next'.
- Now select the web site to download Cygwin. Choose a mirror site close to you. Then 'Next'.
- The next step is to select Cygwin packages of interest. At least get (click on 'View' button
for a convenient list) the following packages (click in the "New" column on the package to
select or skip a package):
- the packages already selected, and
- ash, bash, bzip2, clear, cygipc, cygwin, file, fileutils, findutils,
gawk, gettext, grep, groff, gzip, inetutils, jpeg, less, libpng12, libpng2,
libtiff4, login, man, ncurses, opengl, openssh, perl, postgresql, readline, regex, sed,
sh-utils/shellutils, sunrpc, tar, tcsh, termcap, texinfo, textutils,
tiff, time, unzip, w32api, zip, zlib.
Additionally you will probably want to keep the selected XFree Server packages
selected if you are not already using other X-Window software (check the XFree
section to fetch all required packages).
Newer versions of Cygwin make use of X-Windows from X.org; if you are
installing these be sure to install the XFree86-lib-compat package as well.
- Then 'Next'. This will now download all stuff... takes time...
- Then the installation is performed. Finally press 'Finish'
This will generate an icon "Cygwin" on your desktop.
winGRASS 5.7 installation
GRASS 5.7 installation:
- Download and install 'xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz' (get from this directory, save in 'c:\cygwin' or
'd:\cygwin'). Then, in the cygwin terminal, type:
tar xvfz xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz
- Download GRASS 5.7 for MS-Windows:
Download the binary package and the install script (two files, one big, one small).
So far there is no nice installer... sorry.
- Store these files into the 'cygwin\' directory (e.g. c:\cygwin or d:\cygwin)
- Within the cygwin terminal window, run (use appropriate date in the file names):
sh grass57-19_03_2004-i586-pc-cygwin-install.sh grass57-19_03_2004-i586-pc-cygwin-bin.tar.gz
Finally you may download the Spearfish data set
to try out the installation and play with GRASS.
Starting GRASS 5.7
First open an xterm (terminal window):
Then launch GRASS with:
This should popup a graphical window to select the location.
Type into the data base line the path to the directory which contains
location(s) such as 'spearfish'. Then select location and mapset and
2004 Markus Neteler - please contact winGRASS mailing list for support